The Broadway Show - there's no business like show business!
A Broadway show is a not-to-be-missed item on anyone's entertainment checklist. 'Broadway' refers to plays (typically musicals) that run at a group of 40 theatres in and around Broadway street in Manhattan, New York City. Broadway represents the finest commercial theatre in the world and tourists come from all over the world to see these musicals. The plays exhibit exceptional production values, awesome music and stupendous talent. Many Hollywood stars graduate from Broadway and many return to perform here.
Net net, make sure you see a Broadway show at some point during your stay in the US, even if you have to make a special trip to New York City!
Here are some useful tips, as shared by our readers:
- Retail ticket prices usually range from $90 to $250 per person, with the average for a good seat being $150. However, just as with airline tickets, never buy full-price. There are a variety of ways to buy Broadway tickets at discounted rates.
- If you are physically in New York City, visit the TKTS booth on Times Square. This is a very prominent kiosk run by the Theatre Development Fund, a non-profit organization, that sells tickets at half-price on the day of the show. The only issue is: (a) you'll have to stand in line and (b) you can only get tickets for that evening or afternoon (afternoon shows only on weekends)
- There are some good websites that sell tickets at discounted rates. So check out the web. My favorite site:
- Check out an interesting site called
This site lists 15 different ways in which you can get discounted Broadway tickets.
Always dress formally or in business casuals (semi-formal). I have seen people attending a show in T-shirts and jeans but (a) traditionally audiences have always dressed up formally - you might otherwise feel out of place - and (b) why miss out on a chance to dress up! Make it a night to remember - like going to a fancy restaurant.
- A complete list of all shows to choose from is easily available on the web. For instance, check out this wikipedia site:
List of Broadway Theatres
- Shows recommended by our readers include: